Improvements we are currently making for 2012....
An induction loop is now available at reception.
Electronic Door access installed for easy access to the gym.
3 Hand Crank Cycles installed in our gym, with removable chair.
Free Motion Dual Cable Cross machine installed, cathering for sports specific or wheelchair users.
Improvements made to our shower cubicals, so are now more integrated and user friendly.
All of our staff have completed a full disabilty awareness training course.
Coming soon: Emergancy Evacuation Chair and flashing light with emergency communication switch for the Gym floor.
Coming soon: Specific signage for a disabilty car park bay
Last Year we have improved our swimming pool changing area by building a specialized disability suite that includes:
Disability Shower and Extra wide chair
Full Body Drier
Extra Wide Benches
Handle rails on shower and toilet
Specific wheelchair for use in the shower
Our commitment and approach to maintaining an accessible website and Leisure Centre
Portlaoise Leisure Centre is committed to:
Statement of the website’s conformance with official accessibility guidelines
We have launched our new website in September in 2011.
We are aware of some areas on the website where we could improve accessibility. We are currently working to achieve this. We intend to maintain the website at “Level AA” standard to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
Please send us feedback on how accessible you find Portlaoise Leisure Centre and our website.
E-mail us on:
General Manager Mark Roberts on:
Sales Mark Walsh on:
Or contact all at:
Write to us at:
Portlaoise Leisure Centre,Moneyballytyrell,Portlaoise,Co. Laois.
Call us on: 057 86 81200
Accessibility features of this website
- The Menu is viewable on the left and side of all pages to allow users to easily maneuver back and forward through the webpage.
- We used XHTML to structure this website and used CSS to present it making the website accessible to as many people as possible.
Building and Site Accessibility
- Portlaoise Leisure Centre buildings and car parks are designed specifically to comply with and exceed all the requirements outlined by the regulations embracing the concept of universal access
- Designated car parking spaces for people with disabilities are located adjacent to the main entrance. The car park is constantly monitored to ensure that only people with official permits avail of these spaces
- Tactile paving and dropped kerbing are installed on all pedestrian approaches to our building to allow easy access
- The reception desk is constructed with staggered counter heights on both sides to meet the needs of all individuals.
- Accessible toilet areas fitted with alarm pull cords and safety rails are provided throughout the building.
- Our Pool changing area is fully equipped with a complete disability changing suite, including changing table, shower, full body drier, emergency cord and disability toilet
- Our changing areas, sauna and steam rooms are fully accessible with individual and family changing cubicles and shower rooms incorporated into the pool village change facilities. Low level large capacity lockers are provided
- Accessible resistance and aerobic equipment designed by Techno-gym is provided in the gym
- Consultations and fitness assessments may be booked with our fully trained gym staff who will create a fully designed individual fitness program designed to meet each and everyone’s needs
- All our classes are fully accessible and group classes in our aerobics studio and swimming pools may be arranged upon request
- Our swimming pools are equipped with a pool hoist, attachable mobile shower chair and stretcher trolley is available for people with disabilities
- All signage is designed to cater for visually impaired users with a Braille component incorporated into designated area signs.
- Our pool and gym timetables are also available in Braille.
- All of our documents are available in large print format using plain English as standard
- We are operating a policy of continuous improvement with regard to the provision of services and are working closely with the National Disability Authority (NDA) to ensure that we meet the highest standards through ongoing staff training and self assessment programs
- We have applied for and are actively pursuing a number of awards issued by organizations representing people with disabilities and hope to gain further recognition for our efforts throughout 2011 and beyond.
- Portlaoise Leisure Centre operates a policy of total inclusion and incorporates the principle of equal treatment into all aspects of service delivery
- Our services will be provided in an impartial and courteous manner with due regard for equality legislation
- We will pay particular attention to the avoidance of discrimination under the 9 grounds for discrimination identified by the Equality Authority
- We will make every effort to take account of any individual needs of our customers